Dental Health Expert Forum
Unable to close jaw on right side, bite changed, is this TMJ?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I am 45 years old, and have never experienced any significant TMJ problems.  I had orthodontic treatment, and my wisdom teeth were removed, when I was a teenager.

7 days ago I felt a small amount of pain in my right jaw.  There had been no physical injury, and I was not under any stress.  I had been fighting a cold, and had some coughing / sneezing fits in the previous week.

5 days ago I awoke with difficulty closing my jaw.  For that and the next day at mealtime after my jaw "warmed up" I was able to chew more-or-less normally.

Now, for the last 3 days I am not able to close my jaw on the right side, and I am not able to chew normally.  My bite feels quite significantly off (the bottom teeth are too far forward).

Are these symptoms consistent with a TMJ problem?  Will this problem likely resolve itself with the standard home therapy?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I think that the symptoms you are exhibiting certainly have some relation to TMJ dysfunction. You should seek the aid of a dentist that specializes in TMJ  problems ASAP.
Thank you for your help.