Dental Health Community
Underbite + high angle of lower jaw - how to decrease angle?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Underbite + high angle of lower jaw - how to decrease angle?

I'm looking for a way to correct the overly high angle of my mandible. If you don't know what I mean by this, imagine a person opening their mouth so that the chin would not point forward but into the floor, that's how my lower jaw is at rest (the bite is closed, though).

This gives me quite a weak jawline a long face and leaves me with no chin.

This kind of skeletal structure, I think, is usally seen in open bite cases and is rectified, among other methods, by intruding the molars, thus letting the mandible autorotate upwards, closing the bite, shortening the face and strenghtening the jawline and chin.

However, in my case, not only do I not have an open bite but I have an overbite so my mandible has no space to rotate into.

Can anything be done in my case?

My upper incisors are retroclined, would proclining them and then moving the mandible forward into the space created (some space was alread there because I have minor overjet) cause the back part of the mandible to drop down? If not is there some other way to rotate the back of the mandible downward?

I don't know whether this is significant so I'll mention it just in case: I have narrow arches with the mandibular molars tipping toward the tongue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.