Dental Health Community
Urgent!! Please help!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Urgent!! Please help!!!

2 days ago, I had a dental abscess in the upper right side of my mouth, between the tooth and the gum, and it was slowly draining from a hole in my gum... So, I decided to try and squeeze some of the infection out myself and as I was in the process of doing so, the abscess busted and drained internally (into my cheek). My face started swelling immediately and in about 15 seconds, it had tripled in size! I went straight to the ER but by the time I got there, my eye was swelling shut, my neck was swollen, and it looked like I had a golf ball implanted in my cheek! The doc gave my 900mg of clindamiacin through my I.v. and also did a ct scan to see if the abscess had really ruptured, or if he needed to drain it. The ct scan showed that the abscess had in fact busted, so there was nothing to drain. The doctor prescribed my antibiotics, told me to take some ibuprofen, and use ice packs to help with the swelling. Like I said, its been two days, and although there has been some improvement, it's been very minimal. Is it normal for the swelling to take so long to go down or should I be worried? I'm very nervous because the swelling is right by my eye, and is swollen all the way down to my neck. I just need to know if it's normal for the swelling to take so long to go down? Please help... I'm very worried!
Please and thank you...
Elimination of the source of infection is most effective treatment of cellulitis, which is probably your presentation, in addition to systemic administration of antibiotics. Seeing an oral surgeon is advised.
So what do I do?? Have it rechecked?