Dental Health Community
Very skeptical about crown placement?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Very skeptical about crown placement?

One year ago I had a root canal done on #18, I continued having severe pain and went to the endodontist who told me I needed a root canal on #17 and he did it.  I was confused as to why suddenly needed two root canals instead of one, but  Iwas miserable and needed some relief.  The endodontist was awful and so I was very nervous about having the crowns put on, and so I didn't.  One year later, my face started throbbing and I had awful pain in my jaw and when I bit down.  I went to the dentist and he said the tooth was "fractured" and I needed it pulled.  I saw an oral surgeon and he pulled the tooth no problem,  I immediatly felt better, day 1 postop needed I buprofen that is it.  Then day 3 post op I started to hear my hearbeat in my ear and my jaw was pounding.  I went back to the oral surgeon and he diagnosed a dry socket, which I proceeded to have packed for two and half weeks.  Now my other tooth #17, I push it with my tongue or take a drink and there is a "pop," a "click" and I don't chew on that side anyway because of the socket.  Now it is starting to bother me like # 18 did. My ear constnlty pops and it feels like an earache.  My dentist can not see me for a couple of weeks.  What if this tooth is "fractured" also?  Why can a crown go on this tooth, but not the other.  How painful is this going to be with having the socket still there from the other tooth and do you typically get relief immediatly or am I going have to be on narcotics again?

This discussion is related to Severe throbbing pain days after root canal.
Seeing an orofacial pain specialist or tmj specialist is advised.