Dental Health Expert Forum
Very soar top of mouth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Very soar top of mouth

The top of my mouth is very sensitive, to the point where it is hard to swollow, talk, and eat. It almost feels like there is a pocket of fluid on each side of the roof of my mouth, which seems to fill up and swell and then go back down intermittenly. I am not sure if there are salvitory glands up there or not, but it almost feels like they could be clogged.  This pain all started after vomitting 3 times 4 days ago.  I went to see my doctor and he said it was not strep and to take tylenol and drink plenty of fluids.  At the time of my visit, the only problem part of my body was my mouth/throat.  I am not sure whether I should go back to my doctor or if this is something a dentist will have to take a look at.  I am really hoping this is not the case as I do not have dental coverage.  I guess my first question is where do I go from here?  Doctor/Dentist?  Is there anything in theory that I can do to take care of this myself?  What will the procedure entail if there is something clogged?  What else could it be?  HELP!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would suggest you consult an oral surgeon asap. I can not diagnose this from this forum.
Thank you for your prompt response.  Do I contact an oral surgeon directly or do I need to go through my doctor?  How do I find a reputable surgeon?  Is this a major problem?  Is this something covered by medical insurance?  Sorry for the onslaught of questions but I am nervous.