Dental Health Expert Forum
WHITE SPOTS, UPPER GUMS

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

WHITE SPOTS, UPPER GUMS

More that one year ago, some white spots appeared on my upper gums.
The dentist I had, cut tem. About 3 months later, appeared again. Then, he did the same.

I changed a dentist. The new dentist sent me to a Gums Specialist. The gums were cleaned.
This specialist sent me to a Hospital to see another specialist. In the second visit they made a
bioxis and 2 weeks later, I was told that it wasn't so serios. They recomended me to use a cream,
twice a day. After six months I still have the white spots and they are spreading.

I am really worried about this.
Please, give an advise and help at the same time.

Thankful,

Gui197
Tags: white spots,, ,, upper gumswhite spots
Well, its good that its not serious.  But what was the diagnosis of the white spots?  The biopsy would be a good definitive test to find out what's going on.  I'm assuming that this cream they gave you is a steroid of some sort.

The name of the cream is Oracort, consider as a dental paste.

I would like to know the name of another medicine to use.

Thanks,

Gui197
Anytime there's no improvement or change in your condition, its a good idea to go back to the doctor for a follow up.  

The medicine they prescribed is a steroid.  They may want to prescribe a stronger one perhaps depending on their examination and other findings.  
Thanks doctor Tsang.

I will arrange another appointment with Dr. Burgess at Princess Margaret Hospital.

I will let you know after seing her.

Thanks again,

Gui197
Ya, when in doubt, its always best to take the time to find out whats going on, especially if its not getting better after treatment.
I have a similar problem, the 'white' appears on the lower part of my gums where they 'meet' the teeth.  I also have them on the back of my tongue and 'sores'(don't know how else to describe them) on the back of my throat.   They are like rough spots and hurt sometimes.

Everytime I brush my teeth my mouth bleeds and there is like a 'slime' with the blood.  

I went to the ER a few weeks ago because my mouth would not stop bleeding.

Both my dentist and my physician don't think anything is wrong, except that I might be brushing too hard.  

???  I use a soft brush and Crest mouthwash
Oh, i guess I should add, when I went to the ER, they sprayed some very vile whatever in my mouth and then packed it with cotten.
Thanks for your advice Dr. Tsang.

I will follow-up with you.

Gui197
Ok, I guess I will get no feedback from you.  I was really hoping for some.
Sorry.  Sometimes the questions/comments under the original topics get buried underneath.  When I answer questions, it generally just floats me to the newest topic posted.  

Have your dentist tried prescribing an antifungal in case its thrush (oral candidiasis)?  If its a white patch and it rubs off easily and looks a little irritated/red or bloody underneath, that's a good indication that its most likely a fungal problem and an antifungal needs to be prescribed.  But more importantly, the underlying cause of the fungal problem needs to be addressed as well.  

Hope that helps.
Just  wanted to let you know, since you took so long to read the thread and then state that is probably thrush....

It isn't thrush nor a fungal or bacterial infection.  I was having allergic reaction to glutan....
A new allergy to me, odd allergy reaction.