Dental Health Community
What is Deep cleaning?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

What is Deep cleaning?

My friend recently went to a dentist. He was told that he was having some gum diseases and should go for deep cleaning procedure otherwise be ready to lose his teeth soon. Now what does that mean....my friend is really nervous. What is this procedure used for and what if he does not go for it? Was the doc serious when he said that go for the procedure or else lose your teeth. Please advice fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This discussion is related to Yellow Teeth.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are fine.
Does ypu friend have many plaques or cavities? Any plaque and tartar left on the teeth allows bacteria to thrive. This bacterial contamination can lead to bleeding gums. Deep cleaning is scaling and root planing.Scaling involves removing dental tartar from the surfaces of the teeth .Root planing is the process of smoothening the root surfaces and removing any infected tooth structure. In case of any gum disease or gum pocketing tartar deposits may form under the gumline.After the procedure your teeth may become more sensitive and there may be some pain which will be relieved by analgesics. Tell him to have  a frank discussion with his dentist before the procedure. I hope it helps.
Take care and regards!
Thank you Arti for the reply and sorry for the late response from my side. My friend is fine now. He visited another dentist who said that there was presence of plaques in his mouth. And yes, he advised him deep cleaning within a month but did not say that he would be losing all the teeth if not done.