Dental Health Expert Forum
What is a crown build-up?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

What is a crown build-up?

What is a build-up for a crown and what are "pins"?
How can I know if the dentist is performing/has performed the procedure?
I noticed that I was billed for that procedure, but I am not sure that the dentist did anything other than drill, take impression and fit a temporary crown.

Also, what is "Application of Desentesizer Res" Code D9911 and how it is different from "App. of desensitizing medication"  Code D9910?
Sorry.  I don't do insurance billing but I can make a guess.  Code D9911 sounds like the application of a liner or base on the tooth to prevent sensitivity or pain after a filling or crown is done.  Coed D9910 sounds like something we would put on a tooth to reduce sensitivity but with no other dental work done.  This is a coating we may place on exposed roots to cover them up a little.

As for a buildup, its the material and process we do to restore whats missing on the tooth to place a crown on it.  Sometimes there are cavities or fillings which are larger than what we remove in preparation for a crown.  In order to replace the missing tooth structure, we generally place a buildup, which functions like a filling and replaces what is lost in order to provide structure to place the crown on.  Kind of difficult to describe, its easier to visualize.