What should be done?
I recently had 1/4 of my premolar break off when I was having a toffee. I didnt experience any pain, but headed off to the dentist the next day. The doc took an xray and told me that while the pulp is not infected yet, the pulp was very close to the breakage. Therefore he recommended a temporary filling and asked me to come back a week or so later for a permanent filling.

My questions are:
1. Is this the right way to go about it (placing temporary filling first?) The reason he gave was that putting a permanent filling in the beginning itself would cause more pressure on the pulp and might require a root canal. He also said that the temporary filling was placed to give a chance for the pulp to heal. Does this make sense?

2. Will the temporary filling need to be drilled out before placing the permanent filling? If yes, wont this place additional pressure on the tooth? Will that be good?

3. Could this be a ploy to get me to do a root canal eventually? I would (obviously) like to avoid a RCT if possible!

Thanks,
DM