Dental Health Expert Forum
When is it safe to smoke after having a dry socket?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

When is it safe to smoke after having a dry socket?

So, Today is Wednesday May 4th.. which is almost two weeks since I have gotten my wisdom teeth out (Got them out two Thursdays ago Apr. 21) I developed a dry socket somewhere between one and three days afterwards.. Waited until the next Friday Apr. 29 (8 days later) until I started getting the packing and the dentist told me it had started healing on its own and was now relatively "small" and would only take a few days to heal and maybe one or two packings so I got the second packing done on the following Monday May 2 (2 days ago) and I believe it is still in there (not sure if its dissolvable or not).. .. How do I know when it is healed (either by look or feeling)?  When is it safe to smoke? Is there a chance that I might get another dry socket after this socket is healed if I do smoke? I have not smoked this entire time so that was not a factor in the first one..
Very confused!