Dental Health Community
White bump on tip of tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

White bump on tip of tongue

I have a small white bump on the tip of my tongue and it is bothersome. I seems as if I had irritation on the side of my tongue a couple of times and now this! It is located on the under side of the tip and the pain is horrific. It is also a little numb feeling! I too would like to find out what this is so I am going to make an appointment to have it looked at. If you find out anything before I do please share. I am a bit scared because I smoked years ago, before children, while I was in collage and now that I have small childern I do not want to find out anything bad about myself -husband or them...I have been under alot of strain, pressure and stress with very little sleep for the past two months because of work and holidays. Maybe there is something to that. Lets hope that is all it is! Stress
Tags: white, bump, on, tip, tongue
Wow...I have the exact same symptoms!  I have been searching on line to try and find some answers.  About a week ago I thought I had scalded my tongue with hot tea but after about 2 days it wasn't feeling any better.  Now the tip is incredibly sore with a few tiny white bumps and numbness.
I've also notice the same feeling up the sides of my tongue.  I looked in a magnified mirror and found
that a lot of the tiny bumps on my tongue (which our tongues have if you look at them closely) appeared red and almost inflamed.  I rinse with hydrogen peroxide and it hurts like heck but it hasn't helped any.  Last night I stopped into a "minute clinic" because I wasn't able to get away from work this week to see my Dr., anyhow, the minute clinic told me they don't treat this sort of thing so I was out of luck.  I plan on seeing my Dr. next week though.  I too thought maybe it was a stress related thing because I sure can't figure this one out!  Have you had a chance to see your Dr. yet???
It's possibly a canker sore (caused by a virus or candida).  It can also be caused by nutritional deficiencies.  

For candida, you can try a product called Threelac, or even plain, unsweetened yogurt, placed on the tongue for as long as you can not swallow it or wash it away with saliva.

Nutritional deficiencies to look into include iron, niacin, lysine, B6, Riboflavin, B12, and if you also experience bleeding gums, vit C.
I have these too.  They are not canker sores or candida.  Maybe it is nutritional deficiency as I notice these little bumps/sores more often when I am worn out from too much partying and the immune system loses strength.  But then again I have had these on my healthiest days too.  I believe stress contributes.

I have asked doctors whether it may be herpes but they always say no and send me on my way.  While that is mildly relieving, I don't really feel like it has ever been taken seriously.  We have a condition that I am convinced is just simply not known about in the medical community.
The little white bumbs on the tongue is contagious!! my boyfriends now has it. the nurse said she doesnt know what it is. i just want it gone its a pain in the butt
I am 23 and have had the same thing on and off for as far back as I can remember, even as a kid. I usually try to bite them off with my teeth, as they are on the tip of my tongue. I'm sure this isn't a good thing to do, but they're just so annoying. One trick I've found helps is scalding them with hot hot coffee or tea with no sweetener or milk or anything in it. It hurts, but if you can "man" up(I'm a woman but not the point) it does seem to aleviate the irritation and it goes away soon after. I couldn't stand the feeling on my tongue anymore so I just did this without really thinking. I don't mean scald your whole tongue, simply stick the sore spot slowly and carefully into the beverage for as long as you can stand it(even if it's a split second). The coffee and tea may also act as an... antioxident or antiseptic. Using very hot water may also work.
I've been suffering for days because of these white bumps on the tip and side of my tongue. I tried cutting off the white pieces with a cuticle cutter needless to say that failed miserably and caused much more pain the following day. I went on the internet to check out wtf was going on and stumbled upon this page. I tried out kelseyreneefuller's suggestion of dipping my tongue into pretty hot unsweetened tea and although it hurt to keep it longer than 1 second I kept doing it. I'm not sure of the heat draws blood to the area and helps clean it or if as kelseyreneefuller said it acts as an antiseptic but soon after the pain subsided SIGNIFICANTLY. I'm gonna keep at this all night hope I don't damage any nerve endings with this scalding tea. Ha.

-Stephanie.M.S
I've had a few of them in a bunch on the tip of my tongue for almost a week now. I tried clipping the darn thing and it helped for an hour or so and proceeded to hurt worse. It's so uncomfortable and I was wondering if scalding hot water may work as well too? I need it to be gone so I can sing this song I've been working on. It would mean an awful lot if I can get some feedback ASAP. Thanks guys!