Dental Health Expert Forum
White bumps on back of tongue

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

White bumps on back of tongue

I have a patch of raised white bumps in the back center of my tongue that appeared about three days ago and are still there.  They do not hurt unless I pick at them but they are raised so they are irritating. I have been rinsing with a medical oral wash but it has not seemed to help.  I burnt my tongue several days ago but I have burnt it before and this has never happen.  Do you have any idea what this might be?
Tags: irritable
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It doesn't sound like something you need to worry about but to be sure you should have it looked at by a dentist or an oral surgeon.  It's difficult to diagnose without seeing it.
molly is right...u should go and see a dentist...maybe ur oral wash is not that effective...try other mouthwash
have the exact same  no irritation but very bad breadth which i dont notice but other people can tell me -  have tried various mouth washes.  Could it be thrush as vaguely remember this when my children were smaller (I'M AGE 41).  Please reply
The problem here is that those white bumps and or white coating in the back of your tongue is a collection of sulfer compounds which is typically a direct result from a dry mouth and or a low saliva secretion rate which allows the bacteria that makes those smelly fumes to develop at a rapid pace. Remember that saliva has oxygen and it's this oxygen that destroys the bacteria. That's why if you have a normal salival secretion rate the oxygen contained in the saliva is sufficient and takes control of the bacteria.

So as long as you have little saliva or no saliva at all your going to have bad breath no matter how many times you brush your teeth. And don't go out and by a mouth rinse that contains alcohol because as you all know alcohol has a drying affect and you know what the means: More bad breath!
I have been on bactrim for about 6 months to prevent bladder infections. I noticed a yeast taste in my mouth and tried taking a bunch of acidophilus and called my urologist who prescribed Magic mouthwash (nystatin stuff).  I waited cause the next day I had a scheduled GP visit. She said I had a yeast infection and prescribed 2 diflucan (150 mg). I took those as prescribed and though the yeast taste was gone, the white tongue with the white bumps at the back are still there. Should I use the mouthwash or is it something else. Seems like the diflucan would have gotten rid of them