Dental Health Expert Forum
White burning tongue (NO CANDIDA)

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

White burning tongue (NO CANDIDA)

I have a terrible burning sensation in the middle of my often very dry and white tongue.(not the complete mouth)

It's not a Candida thrush infection(tested). By now, I brush my teeth and tongue with a non-soap toothpaste. 1-2 hours after brushing the burning sensation starts and my tongue gets a white coating.....also when I have not eaten anything since the brushing!! I've done an allergy test: nothing.

What is causing this condition?

thank you!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I am not sure. It could be a vitamin deficiency or hormonal. I would consult an oral surgeon if you have not done so far or an oral pathologist. The last doctor can be found at a dental school or a teaching hospital.
Pictures:

these are two pictures of my tongue. (after 3 hours, no eating after brushing!)

http://users.pandora.be/systems/DSCF5109.JPG
http://users.pandora.be/systems/DSCF5122.JPG
My tongue does the same thing!  I'm trying to figure it out too...if you find out, please post a follow up and i'll do the same.
Could it be: http://www.doctorspiller.com/hairy_tongue1.htm

My tongue had developed a "white hairy tongue" and then it disappeared. Perhaps coincidental, but at night, before bed, I was taking 2 pepto tablets (for about 2 weeks). This turned my tongue black.
I was brushing my tongue and some of it began to disappear (in small patches). Today, it is completly gone.
I associated the pepto, along with tongue brushing to the disappearance but again, perhaps coincidental.

The reason I associate it with the Pepto, is that I had been brushing my tongue in the past to no avail. However, it could have been that my tongue would have cleared up without Pepto. I dunno. lol

Might try it, if nothing else.

~Kate

As an addition, I was drinking (once daily)lemon juice: 1 freshed squeezed lemon in large glass (you can buy a cheapy plastic reamer), filled the rest with water and sipped it.
Sorry for the overposts, I didn't catch the "burning" in your original post.

Vitamin deficiency can indeed cause burning tongue:

"Overuse of mouth rinses and sprays may lead to burning tongue syndrome, as can anything that leads to a dry mouth. Sensitivities to certain foods and food additives, particularly to sorbic acid and benzoic acid (which are food preservatives), propylene glycol (found as a moisturizing agent in foods, drugs, and cosmetics), chicle (found in some chewing gums), and cinnamon, may play some role. Deficiencies of vitamins, including B12, folic acid, and B-complex, can cause burning mouth syndrome. Iron deficiency has also been implicated."

It's an aggravating condition, I know!

Go On the web and look up Burning Moth Syndrome also known as Glossodynia  I am telling you you will be very surprised and maybe cured  Go GEt ALL OF YOUR BLOOD WORK DONE ALL