Dental Health Community
White coating on tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

White coating on tongue

I've a white coating on my tongue for ages now and really want to get rid of it as I think its causing bad breath. Its a very light white coating ( pretty much covers my tongue and seems more noticeable towards the back of the tongue) and some of it comes off when I brush it.
I have a very good dental hygiene a part from this...

Any tips or ideas on how to get rid of it ?

Seeing an oral medicine specialist is advised.
I have this also, been there for as long as I can remember, showed it to my doctor and dentist they were not concerned.  Went to see an ear nose and throat guy and he thinks it is related to my chronic sinus problems and the thick mucus.  He said he thinks the thick mucus is related to alcohol consumption dehydrating me.

Bugs me because it comes and goes if I use mouthwash and tongue scraper multiple times per day it will go away.
White tongue is a perplexing problem but usually not serious.  

Dehydration is the most likely cause if medical factors have been ruled out (thrush).  
Be sure you drink plenty of water.  And, a tongue scrapper can be your best friend.  The white is plaque that forms on the tongue just like on your teeth.
Get a tongue brush and try brushing your tongue with paste.  Then use the scrapper.  Keep yourself well hydrated (8 glasses of water a day) and the white should disappear.  

Hope this helps.
Best to you,
Gellia