Dental Health Expert Forum
White patch on tongue not candidiasis?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

White patch on tongue not candidiasis?

I have had a white patch on my tongue for at least 6 months.  It is in the center of the tongue, and stretches from the middle front to the back.  It will not rub off...it is just a white area.  I brush it and gargle with Biotene, and occassionally that lessens the appearance, but it always comes back.  It is not painful.  It seems to get worse after eating certain foods, and sometimes gets a bit brownish in color if I drink coffee. In addition, I have a white coating on the way back part of my tongue that does wipe off, but no bleeding.  My doc says tongue coating...that is not painful either.  The front part of my tongue hurts occassionally, like it has been burned but it has not.  I have geographic tongue, as well.  What could be up with the white patch on my tongue?  Is it leukoplakia?  Thanks for your response.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Tough to tell without actually seeing it.  Could just be your geographic tongue.  Make sure you have it looked at by your dentist or oral surgeon.
The area in the posterior region of your tongue may be due to the larger papillae in the region.  The area in the center of your tongue could be do to your geographic tongue.  Some cases involve a bruning sensation, with white patches along the borders of geographic areas, that change from time to time.  There are a lot of differential (other) diagnsis, such as lichen planus, or leukoplakia, all of which should be evaluated and diagnosed by an oral surgeon.
A related discussion, white patches was started.