Dental Health Expert Forum
White tongue/oral thrush

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

White tongue/oral thrush

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but for the past week I have noticed a slight white tongue on my mouth. I was on antibiotics from Feb 16th to Feb23, I was on metronidazole. About 5 days after my last dosage, I noticed that my tongue looked white in the back. I am very concerned because, when researching this it also said it can be from the early stages of HIV. I also smoke, which I know can be a contributing factor. I'm not able to get an appointment until wednesday. When i called the doctor on call, she said that it was highly unlikely that metronidazole leed to my furry white tongue, because it would have showed up earlier...i'm not sure how my tongue looked while taking it, i didn't notice it really.  Is this just plaque, or normal white tongue, I also have a picture of my tongue...sorry if it's gross

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/davina01/3338064093_1268c19f1d.jpg

am I being a little paranoid...or does this possibly look like an oral thrush
Judging by your picture, it seems to be normal papillae to me.  A simple way to diagnose oral thrush is to take something and wipe it off.  If it wipes off, its definitely oral thrush.  If it doesn't, it just means its not oral thrush but could be something else.  If it does wipe off, generally the area underneath is really red and irritated cause of the fungal infection.