Dental Health Community
Why Long Wait for Dental X-rays Interpretation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had full mouth digital x-rays taken June, 2011, and I am still waiting in March, 2012, for my dentist to give me an interpretation of any problem areas.  She keeps making excuses that she's too busy and she'll do it one of these days.  Does anyone else have problems with dentists withholding this important information?  
It should not take this long to have these results. By law, you have the right to any of your medical records. I would think about seeing another dentist, if that's possible. And I would also make sure to get a copy of all my records including the x-rays.
Thank you for your reply.  The problem is that she has not written down any interpretation of the x-rays in the dental record.  Her treatment plan is two years old and she has not updated it.  For some reason, she is being evasive.  I don't understand why a medical x-rays require a radiologist to read them and give a detailed report, but a dentist is not required to do the same under the law, or perhaps they are but it is not enforced in some states?  It's kind of awkward because when a dentist takes an x-ray and sees that their workmanship is defective and it has led to decay, I suppose it is human nature, although not ethical,  to not want to comment to the patient.  Maybe there should be a law that dental x-rays must be sent out and interpreted by an independent party and the report sent to the patient.
Maybe you can google this to see if dentists have to give you your records if you request them. I would think it would be a state law. But, I could be wrong about that. What a shame that you're going through this.
Thank you for your comment.  I appreciate it.  My dentist is closing her practice, and I've given up on ever getting an interpretation of my x-rays.  All that radiation for nothing.  In Illinois we have a very weak and uncaring department of professional regulation that tends to ignore violations of the law and has a very poor reputation in protecting patients.  They even excuse dentists who substitute cheap nickel crowns and promise and charge for high noble metal.  Someone there actually told me that a treatment plan is the same as readings for each tooth.  Actually, they're separate.  A treatment plan is what the dentist is willing to do, and sometimes does not include replacement at no charge of defective crowns and fillings that they placed.  It should be based on the x-ray interpretation and physical exam.  I wonder why doctors are required to give detailed readings of medical x-rays, and dentists are not?  If I were a dentist, I would feel a moral responsibility to study the x-rays and record my findings.