Dental Health Community
Why do I have severe pain after root canal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

My last left bottom molar started to feel sensitive after my second child was born. It had a large filling two years ago. So I went to see my dentist, and after an x-ray, he said it was infected and needs root canal. I then had an emergency treatment on the day (he opened the tooth and did something). The pain went away straighter after the RCT. Then the temporary filling fell out one week before the RCT. The RCT was done Tuesday last week. 90 mins. The dentist said it was successful. After the drug worn off, pain started. On Thursday I started to have unbearable pain (my whole left face was sore and had strong headache with it). Went back to see my dentist Friday morning. He prescribed me with strong painkiller and antibiotic, and also grind down the tooth a bit. Still in severe pain. Could not sleep or eat or function. My poor baby! Then went to another dentist Saturday morning. She took another X-ray and said it was all fine (no infection) and the pain was caused by the materials my dentist pushed through the root during the RCT and the pain should go away soon because the materials should be absorbed by my body. Lived on painkiller and antibiotic for a couple of days. Monday the pain subsided and I felt really back to life and can function again. Now Friday I start to feel pain again. Not as severe as last time, but I cannot touch my tooth at all. Have booked to see my dentist Monday morning.
Could someone give an answer or experience why this pain could come back? Do you think my RCT failed? Or is there an infection? I am so panicking... As I do not want to go through the pain again and to be completely inactive and not to be able to attend my baby? Thanks very much!
Gretchen001,
It is fairly hard to say what may be going wrong without x-rays and having to do a clinical exam.
It does sound that there may have been some infection going on inside the tooth. As such, it is important to finish your antibiotic regiment. A lot of people cease taking medications once they feel better, making infection come back and be stronger, more resilient to the previously prescribed antibiotic.

Grinding teeth is something else which I would mention to your dentist. It may start simply as grinding teeth, and continue on to cause attrition in your teeth, as well as possibly cause TMJD (temporomandibular joint disorder). TMJD (TMD) MAY cause headaches, shoulder pain, chin, and neck pains. It may also cause popping and crunching noises and sometimes even pain just below and slightly ahead of your ears.
If you do have history of grinding, I would suggest talking to your dentist about possibly having a nightguard made for you.
I actually believe Scottma may be TMJ specialist, so PMing him may be a good idea if you have any more questions about that.
Someone please help! Do you think maybe there is some other materials fall or slips out again? Should I ask my dentist to re-adjust the height since it only hurts when I put pressure on it?
BTW, I have done my crown yet. It will be done in Jan because my insurance will not cover both RC and a crown in one calendar year. Do you think I shall wait longer? Have heard the horrible stories about cutting a crown to retreat a RC.

I have noticed I am grinding my teeth when I sleep?!
I think I will update some other information.
I have been taken antibiotic (amoxicillin) for 3 days now, and the pain has subsided a lot. Only until last week, I notice I am grinding my teeth when I am sleeping. Tomorrow will still go back to my dentist and ask him to lower the RCed tooth a bit. I think it is still a bit high when I bite.
Will keep on posting on this thread. Hopefully it will be helpful to others who have similar experience.

Still worried though. If I stop the antibiotic, will the pain come back?

Gretchen001,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will look into the night guard.
Well... I have been to my dentist today, and he grinded down my RCed tooth a bit again. I feel better.

Also about TMJD, I think I have developed something like that during the long RCT. When I yawn, I can hear my jaw joint making a noise... What should I do about it?
5th day on antibiotic today. The pain has completely gone. Only feeling tiny a little bit sensitive. Just bite a banana with it and all good. Will live on soft food for a while.

Caught a cold last Friday and kept coughing since then. Feel a bitter taste in my mouth.

Will keep updated until the course of antibiotic finishes.
6th day. All getting better again. Had a chicken meal for lunch. No pain.
Gretchen001,
Glad things are looking brighter and brighter for you.

I do not believe that TMD may have developed over session of RCT. Nonetheless, I would check with your dentist to see if you may need night guard or not. The test for that is a fairly quick one: one is to test and see if there is any sublaxation on either right or left, next is to see if there is any attrition on occlusal surfaces of your teeth. They may also ask some questions like: do you experience often headaches, pain in the neck, shoulder, ear. Do you wake up in the morning feeling tense around your jawline. Stuff like that. :)
Finished the course today. No pain and feeling fine.
Phoned my dentist and he said i do grind my teeth because he can see it when he was examine my teeth, but he needn't mention anything like night guard. Does it mean my case is not severe?
Anyway.. Will be on holiday next week and I am glad my teeth are feeling fine.
Gretchen001,
I do not know your dentist's train of thought and cannot tell wherever your case of grinding is severe or not without doing oral exam.
If he did mention that you grind your teeth, you may ask his opinion on wherever you may need the guard or not. As guards will prevent grinding, possible future sensitivity, and TMD issues among just a few things.