Dental Health Expert Forum
Why does the roof of my mouth keep bleeding?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

The roof of my mouth, right behind my two front teeth will bleed randomly when im just sitting there doing nothing, sometimes when im eating, and during the night when im sleeping. Its not a little blood, its a pretty good sized amount, and Im usually in the bathroom for about 5 minutes before it stops.I was just wondering why it was doing this and if i needed to go to my dentist.
It sounds to me like there is inflammation present in the gums behind your front teeth. That can be caused by trauma from your bite,rough fillings that might be present or just the need for a cleaning. You should definitely see your dentist.
there is a "papillae" there called the incisive papillae which is bascially just an area where many nerves and blood vessels meet. when it bleeds it is usually due to inflammation, very possibly from the buildup af plaque and tartar behind the front teeth. Just minor stimulation (for example brushing and definitely flossing) can make it bleed.It could also be a sign of periodontal disease (gum disease) I'd definitely see a dentist to have it looked at. If you have gum disase you want to get it treated so you don't lose teeth .
A related discussion, Bleeding from behind the two front teeths was started.
A related discussion, gum bleeding was started.