Dental Health Expert Forum
Will my gum on the side will cover the hole naturally without need surg...

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Will my gum on the side will cover the hole naturally without need surgery?

My lower molar was extracted. After a week I noticed the gum of inner lateral side of
the extracted site has white sharp piece coming out from the gum. I'm not sure if it is
part of my tooth left after extraction or the main bone that they damage during
extraction. I went to the dentist again. The piece was removed and i was told that
they smoothen the part of the bone also. My gum was infected and had anti-biotic.
But it still bother me because the gum on the side left OPEN (hole) after they removed
the piece and it's about 5mm in diameter and the bone is visible. It's almost a week now
and it's still a bit soar if i put pressure with my tongue and the bone still not smooth. I dont have gum
disease. DOES MY PROBLEM NEED SURGERY OR SHOULD I JUST LEAVE IT? WILL IT HEAL
AND THE GUM WILL GROW AND COVER IT NATURALLY? Please reply, thak you.
Tags: surgery, gums
If there is bone exposed, you may need to go back to your dentist.  Sometimes it may be a piece of bone called a bony spicule that is pushing out of the gum.  These spicules are small pieces of bones left in the socket unintentionally after an extraction and the body naturally responds to these pieces by pushing them out.  It sounds like they went back in again to remove it so there maybe a few pieces of left they might have missed.  If there's no severe pain, I would allow it to heal and monitor the situation.  If it worsens, definitely go back.  The gums will heal and cover up the hole.  It may take several weeks to months though.  Until then, don't play with it with your tongue as that reaggravates the site.  
well insoy after the extraction did u play with the blood clott with ur tongue? did u follow post operative procedures? cuz what u have maybe something called dry socket...u shouldn't leave it that way and go see ur doctor again