Dental Health Expert Forum
Wisdom Teeth Bone Graft

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Wisdom Teeth Bone Graft

I have been having pain in one of my wisdom teeth and after a trip to the dentis a few days ago I was informed that all of my teeth should be pulled, as the bottom two have a soft tissue impaction.  What concerned me most was that I was told that my two bottom teeth will also require a bone graft I believe it was called, to ensure that the teeth next to the wisdom teeth do not move around as a result of the pocket that will be created (if i remember correctly).  The cost of this procedure was roughly $1,500 per tooth, and the entire cost of the operation was over $4K.  I do not have that much money and my insurance will not cover the operation, furthermore I am skeptical if all this is really necessary.  None of my friends who had their teeth removed had this operation, and as I mentioned before, only one of the teeth is causing me problems (my previous dentist told me there was enough room in my mouth for the teeth to grow in).  The wisdom teeth are coming in straight as far as i can tell from the x-ray and the only issue is the soft tissue impaction.

What makes me even more concerned was that I noticed on this forum that another man had a similar question that invovled the same doctor in beverly Hills, Dr. Rashti.  I want to know if this procedure is necessary, just an exrtra precaution, or nothing more then a way to get more money out of my.  I personally would just like to get the one tooth that is bothering me pulled and leave the others alone.  I would also like to know what the other man who had this question with the doctor did.  His name was metcalf17.thanks

Avatar_dr_m_tn
I do remember a similar question. I do not know if it was the one that you were referring to but I do remember I consulted with an oral surgeon at the time and he thought the procedure was a bit excessive.I am not an oral surgeon and do not have the knowledge to give you an opinion, but I do think it deserves another opinion from another oral surgeon.
Were you able to find out the answer.I have the same exact issue with my one wisdom tooth needing to be pulled and the bone graph was strongly suggested (if not enforced) by the same exact detist Dr. Rashdi. Please tell me what you've learned.thanks!
If anyone does go to this Dr. Rashti, then think again.They are very forceful and rude, in my experience.You want a professional when dealing with wisdom tooth extractions, not used car salesmen.
I just did an internet search for "wisdom teeth"+"bone graft" after the periodontist in my dentist practice told me that she will not pull teeth without doing the bone graft - to the tune of about $3000.  I am a healthy 24 year old, and no one else I know has ever had this done.

The periodontists' name?   Dr. Rashti of Beverly Hills, CA.

I am so glad that I found the other patient's comments before subjecting myself to an expense and possibly unnecessary medical procedure!
I'm so happy to have helped you.That's why I posted in the first place.I have thankfully found a professional and nice dentist who will be taking care of my wisdom teeth extractions and I told him about the Rashti office.He said that unfortunately he has many colleagues who try to take advantage of people by doing unneccesary procedures(such as a bone graft)just to take our money.A bone graft would only be needed if there were implants involved.I hope you didn't have to deal with the air headed bookkeeper there.She was trying to give medical advice and push these procedures.What a joke.Good luck to you!!