Dental Health Community
Wisdom Tooth Extraction vs. Root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Wisdom Tooth Extraction vs. Root canal

"Dear Sir,
I had a severe pain in my lower corner tooth(wisdom tooth) 15 days back. I had a wisdom tooth since birth and it is as good as other tooth are. I consulted my dentist, she told that I need to go either through extraction or root canal with a cap treatment as it has a huge cavity..Both treatment can easily b done with my wisdom tooth(as she said).

So my question is what is ur suggestion? which option I should go for?
As I heard that Root canal is a painful process and leave many aftereffects and at least it can b avoided for the wisdom tooth, Coz this is a uselss tooth in our mouth. Although I want to save my tooth, but not at the cost my health.

Moreover, I want to delay the treatment for two months as I am into a very imp phase of my life, so will it be feasible and advisable to get it delayed?
If yes, then any precautions to b taken..

I am not going as per the advise of my doctor as I consulted her for the first time, due to the permanent non availability of my past dentist and thus I have a fear somewhere in my mind of wrong suggestion

Pl suggest.."
From all you've said, I would have the tooth removed.  A root canal and crown would be very expensive.  You will still have a full set of teeth, as a lot of people do have their wisdom teeth extracted at some point.  You won't miss it.  If you are in pain, you need to get it removed right away before infection sets in and you then have another problem.  If you have it extracted, you'll be fine that same day with no interruption in your life.