Dental Health Expert Forum
Wisdom Tooth root left in mouth (xray attached)

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

OK, I had a lower Left wisdom tooth removed in December 16th, 2010.  It took an hour to pull and when i asked the oral surgeon how it went he said on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst it was a 10.  He said they had to do more x-rays to make sure they got it all out.  It hurt bad enough for percocet until about the 24th of December.  At 10 day checkup I had stitches out, offered more pain pills and things seemed ok.  Jan 15th 2011 site of extraction very painful with the pain going into throat.  Took penicillin and got better.  Feb 1st went to dentist pain at extraction site and sore throat.  He said he did not like how it looked prescribed penicillin.  He also told me bone splinters could come out or some bone could dissolve. It got better.  Saw doc about a week later for checkup and he said it looked better, i wondered if my gums would cover the white jaw bone I could feel and see in the mirror.  He again told me about tooth splinters.  I felt a new tingling in my left cheek, no pain just like pins and needle tingle.  So I guess my cheek nerve was waking up.  Feb 10th or so finally thinking all is well except for exposed jaw bone.  Finally eating on both sides of my mouth.  

So I go for a tooth cleaning March 18th and the dentist say I have a whole root still left in my mouth and it is infected.  I don't know what to do.  Do I go back when I have now lost faith in the surgeon.  Do I file a lawsuit.  I'm very unhappy I have to go through this all over again.  Comments thoughts please.  See link to x-ray

http://ftp.pwp.att.net/m/d/mdavies2009/misc/tooth.jpg
I can't tell if ifs the lower right or left wisdom tooth but I can tell it a bottom one.  If he did leave that part of the tooth in there, then he should try to remove the rest of it and finish the job.  If you're not comfortable with him, then you should at least try to contact the oral surgeon and figure out where to go from here.  There is definitely a large part of the mesial root left from the wisdom tooth.  It should definitely be removed before it becomes more problematic.