Dental Health Expert Forum
Wisdom teeth and smoking?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Wisdom teeth and smoking?

I know I don't have to and I may not, but a group of friends and I are getting together a week before my wisdom teeth are supposed to be removed, and most likely going to be smoking weed. My question is, would it do anything to the anesthetic to make it so I need to post pone surgery? As I said, I may not. I am just curious. Thank you! Ps. I've never smoked before if that makes a difference...
I wouldn't recommend it.  Although weed is different than tobacco smoke, it may irritate the gum tissues and reduce its ability to heal due to the trauma and injury from the chemicals and smoke to the gum.  But you should definitely not smoke it afterwards.
If I were to, would it have any affect on the anesthetic, and would I have to tell the anesthesiologist, that I have smoked it?
I would say better safe than sorry.   And yes, you should tell your doctor about it in case.