Dental Health Expert Forum
Wisdom tooth extraction - am I getting ripped off?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

About two weeks ago I was referred to an oral surgeon for wisdom teeth extraction. All four teeth are impacted and need to be extracted, and it is quite painful. After they took the X-Rays, they told me what procedures I needed to have done. They told me I'd need to have the teeth extracted, and that I'd need a bone graft for each tooth that was removed, and that the bone graft was $350 a tooth. I also needed a membrane (not sure if that's the exact name of the procedure, but thats what they told me) for each tooth that was removed, which was $850 a tooth. They told me that my insurance would not cover the bone graft and membrane, so I'd have to pay for that myself. I asked why I needed a bone graft and membrane for each tooth, they told me that the bone graft was to prevent bone loss, and the membrane is so I won't have sinus trouble. They told me that 80% of oral surgeons don't do this procedure, and they insist on me getting it done. I am very skeptical, and I would like an opinion on this.
Avatar dr m tn
I just spoke to the oral surgeon that I refer most of my cases to. He was a little surprised at the extensiveness(if that is a word) of the procedure. He felt and so do I that a second opinion is necessary in this case. It would be helpful if we could see your x-rays. I do not know how old you are. There is some literature indicating that the bone graft might be necessary in older patients. The oral surgeon was alos a little skeptical. He was also interested in what part of the country you were from.
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your response, Doctor. I went ahead and got the 2nd opinion, and my surgery is scheduled for this Thursday. I don't have the X-Ray on hand at the moment, but I suppose I could request  it on Thursday and make a scan of it then (will an X-Ray show up on a scanner?). I am 18 years old and I live in Los Angeles, California. The previous surgeon was Dr. Rashti, and she is located in Beverly Hills.
Avatar n tn
I just had my lower left Wisdom Tooth Extracted and I was wondering how long do I have too wait too have sex?
Avatar n tn
Hi I have the same question as the individual who started this thread.  I am 25 and went to a dentist in Irvine, CA.  He said that I should get a bone graft after pulling out my wisdom teeth.  Is this necessary?  No one else I have talked to has had this done including everyone in my family.  Are there any benefits to having it done? Thanks for your help
A related discussion, Wisdom tooth extraction was started.