Dental Health Expert Forum
Wisdom tooth extraction bad taste and odor

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

lower right wisdom tooth pulled 4 days ago.  Still very sore but relieved with motrin 800 i take Q6.  i began getting this terrible taste in my mouth yesterday along with a nasty odor.  some moderate increase in tenderness around the site as well, but nothing remarkable other than this terrible taste and odor.  My DDS is out of town as it is New Years eve today and I will likely not see him until the 2nd.  Any advice is very much appreciated.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is possible that it is a dry socket but I think you would be in more pain. A gnawing pain that remains with you. At this point I would rinse with very warm salt water and try to keep the socket as clean as possible until you see your dentist.
thanks a lot.  i will do just that.  My pain does seem to be constant and throbbing but just not sharp.  I noticed that i fealt a great deal of relief for an hour or so, and I felt something in the socket,  when I investigated it was a piece of asparagus that was stuck in the socket.  when I gently removed this piece of food,  the pain returned.  I will definately see the dds tommorow am