Dental Health Expert Forum
Wisdom tooth infection

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Wisdom tooth infection
Hello

I woke the other day with an inflamated wisdom tooth. I waited about three days to go to the dentist and when I got there it was preety much infected. He gave me amoxiline and the day after I took the tooth out and now am taking amoxiline for 8 days total. My question is Should I be worried for endocarditis? I asked both dentists and they told not to worry. My fear is that those 3 days it took me to go to the dentist could have given me endocarditis....

Please let me know

All the best!
Highly unlikely.  

Since you took the antibiotics, it should protect you from any risk of endocarditis from the actual dental surgery.  As for the risk of endocarditis from the tooth infection, I would say that would be pretty rare as well.