Dental Health Expert Forum
Yellow Tongue with Thick Yellow Patches at Back

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

About two months ago, I got quite sick (randomly). I haven't been sick in many years, rarely have any allergies/sickness. My throat was sore, lymphnodes very enlarged, headache, dizzy etc. I went to the doctor and was given amoxicillian. I took this medication for about a week and got a drug reaction rash. I was advised to stop the medication and I did. Three weeks later, I started having very had dry mouth and my tongue was white with thick hairy looking areas. This distressed me and I went back to the doctor, who didn't look at it much and just told me to stop worrying. I asked to be checked for diabetes and thyroid, since I also noticed an increase in how thirsty I was. Both tests came back negative. I also got an HIV test, and this came back negative too (mouth antibody test). My tongue is no longer white, it is now covered with hairy looking growth located towards the back, looks thicker. I've been brushing my teeth, using a tongue cleaner, letting toothpaste sit on the tongue etc, many remedies I've found on the internet and none is helping. Could this be an allergic reaction, allergy, diet problem and if so, how could I get it properly diagnosed? Also, since my initial sickness, I have been quite tired and overall not the same energy level. I asked for a mono-spot test but the doctor said there was no point since it's a virus and not much can be done about it. (I don't like my dr, will switch as soon as I can!). I'd really appreciate any help I can get here, this condition bothers me very much! Thanks!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is possible that this is a reaction to the antibiotics. To make sure see an oral surgeon as soon as you can.
More Info from yuccaplant for diagnosis/suggestions/help!:
I am female, mid 20's, no children, not very stressful job, but some medium stress lately from other factors. In good health, exercise 2-3X/week, eat healthy, weight 125, height 5'7". I have had no major surgeries or health issues. It's been over 6 months since last unprotected sex, but less than 6 months oral sex. It's been two months since initial sickness, but about 1 month from noticing tongue. The color of my tongue at the back is yellow now, it was white when I first noticed. The covering has gotten thicker in the month. This year I've periodically experienced extreme thirst (over 5L/day water) and constant dry lips/skin. I have mild periods of irritable bowel syndrome, and overall cranky digestion in general, but have had that for a long time! Oh I got a cat in August, but I had this cat two years ago in Texas and he did not cause problems. I moved from TX two years ago in 2003 to LA, CA.
I just had to post cause I went through almost EXACTLY what you are going through.  Started noticing tounge, then stomach sounds like a war was going on in there, now wrists swell up, and soreness in legs or amrs sometimes and very lsightly.  TOungue is still yellow and furry after 9 months!  Lip has whitish coat but onloy upper lip, loks dry but it is not that.  Got all the tests, all neg but I know something is not right.  My doc also says nothing.  2 docs told me my tounge was geo-tounge, 2 said thrush, and one said it's normal.  I gotta see an oral surgeon as you were also advised, but how do you find one?  What I was gonna say is I very much beleive for me this was sexually contracted, or from drug use (damaging the immune system) or the cat possibility.  I remeber the exact date everything started going weird with me and the girl I was with did have a cat.
Funny you should mention it. I started noticing a coating at the back of my tongue about 2 years ago  shortly after I took a long course (2months) of Amoxycillin.

I have been to doctors, used everything from threelac to mouthwashes with no change.

My Wife took the same dose of amoxycillin (although not for such a long period) and has none developed this same coating on her tongue.

It may also be worth mentioning that I have very bad IBS and digetive problems.
To all,

Did anyone find out the cause of these symtoms (symptoms)?  My systems are exactly the same as Yaccaplant's, furry yellow tongue with white coating also on the tongue towards the back of my throat.  Also, I've been very thirsty lastly.   This condition starts about 5 days after I've been to the dentist for deep root cleaning.  I've been using an oral mouth wash prescribe by the hygeinist but stop using it since the symtoms (symptoms) occur.  I will make an appointment tomorrow and hpefully get to the bottom of this.  Please, keep posting your finds as this will help many others like us in the future.

Thanks...
A related discussion, Yellow tongue was started.
A related discussion, Dry, yellow tongue was started.
A related discussion, yellow furring back of tongue red bumps was started.
A related discussion, Yellow Tongue perhaps related to liver was started.
A related discussion, yellow tongue.. swollen glands ?? was started.