abcess swelling duration?
after removal of an abcess tooth (#31), how long will swelling last? I still have painful swelling in lower jaw line soft tissue. Family dentist only prescribed enough antibiotic for 3 days before and 3 days after extraction, will that be sufficient? Her receptionist says I have to ask oral surgeon if I need more. The oral surgeon is at a clinic and is not reachable. We are going into the weekend, who do I call for more antibiotic?
You really don't want to take extra antibiotics unless there is still an active infection.  A lot of the swelling can be from the surgical trauma of the extraction.

The swelling is normally at it's worse around three days after any procedure and swelling will seek the lowest part of your mouth, so the bottom jaw line is where it would be most noticeable.  It should go down quickly after that though.

Hope this helps.
My best to you.
The swelling has gotten progressively worse each day since my post. It has now been 10 days since the extraction. The penicillin 500 mg/3 per day prescribed last Friday,this is Monday, haven't had any affect. If the swelling size is any indication of the infection, the infection is much worse. The swelling is very large, even my mouth is slanted due to the pulling of the skin around the swelling. Since the infection is resistant to anti-biotic, what is the next step? The hospital ER(s) that I called yesterday said they have no oral surgeon on call and to see an oral surgeon Monday. None of the oral surgeons have emergency numbers.