Dental Health Expert Forum
abcessed teeth, jawbone infection

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

abcessed teeth, jawbone infection

Hi - I had two abcessed teeth extracted and was given antibiotics.  The infection made me physically sick as well as tooth and face pain.  I could not finish the second course of antibiotics because of mouth, tongue, gums burning etc.  I am still suffering with mouth burning, tongue burning, itching in between my teeth and on my body.  Should I go to an oral surgeon to rule out jaw infection  (Money is an issue for me)?  Thank you kindly!
Tags: Teeth, jawbone infection, burning tongue
Well normally the extractions should take care of the infection, along with the course of antibiotics.  Its possible you may actually have a side effect from the antibiotics, which is a fungal infection possibly.

What happens is the antibiotics kill the bacteria and the fungus has less competition so they grow more and cause an infection.  So taking more antibiotics won't help.  You may need an anti-fungal.  

I would recommend either going back to your dentist to find out for sure.  

That'd be my guess based upon your description.

I'm not sure why you're getting itching on your body though unless you're getting an allergic reaction to the medication.  In which case you would need to stop it and possibly take a steroid to calm it down.