Dental Health Expert Forum
adding a tooth to a bridge

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

adding a tooth to a bridge
I have a three tooth bridge on the lower right side of my jaw.  The first tooth that anchors the bridge is always getting infected and the gumline has receded due to bone loss.  Is it possible to pull this bridge off, extract the bad tooth and then re-use the bridge by adding another tooth to the bridge and anchor it to the next good tooth, thus creating a four tooth bridge?
If the dentist can remove the bridge without cutting it then it is possible to remove the porcelain and use the metal and add a new abutment to the bridge. If the bridge has been there for a long time then the metal substructure does change and will effect the new bridge. My suggestion is that you are better off making a new bridge.