Dental Health Community
biopsy from roof of mouth causing extreme pain in teeth and roof

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

My dentist saw a dark area on my soft palate and had me go to an oral surgeon who said that he thought that it was nothing but we could biopsy it.  So he did almost a week ago.  Although I understand that this kind of surgery would be slower to heal due to the fact that it is in the mouth and wet, the area that he biopsied (about the size of a nickel) is whitish/gray and very painful.  What's even worse, there are 2 teeth right in front of where the biopsy was that are so sore that I can't even touch them.  This has gotten worse instead of better.  Right after the procedure, I felt fine until about 3 or 4 days ago and then the pain started and has gotten worse each day.  i have an appt. to see him soon but am just wondering what you think it could be.
thanks

This discussion is related to Please help, Pressure Sensation on cheek after Root Canal.
Surgery in the palate is typically more painful than other areas in the mouth. The increased pain on the 3rd day is not uncommon when there is bone involved. I would recommend calling your oral surgeon and discussing your concerns with him. He might have you come back sooner to check the area.
Dr T

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.