Dental Health Expert Forum
bite adjustement

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

bite adjustement

when the dentist polish the tooth is normal to take from the healty teeths or only  from the restaurations(the fillings).
I'm asking becuse  I was for a bite adjustemnetto the dentist  and he  took (polish)from the cusps of the molars and now I am in pain.Is normally?
Please,answer me,thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I do not know why the bite adjustment was done. I do not know if it was necessary to adjust the cusps from the other teeth. Sometimes that is needed and I would think that the discomfort you are experiencing would diminish in time. If this does not occur then I would call the dentist.
Maybe you could get a fluoride rinse. I don't know if you have a thing called ACT, but that is what we reccommend to our patients for sensitivity. Colgate also makes a toothpaste and rinse called Boost that you can purchase (but only with a prescription) that is 5xs as strong as regular toothpaste. Or some of the over the counter sensitivity toothpaste. Sometimes when you have enamel removed during a bite adjustment it can open up the microscopic tubes that your tooth is made of and it can cause sensitivity. Fluoride can help remeneralize the enamel and help with the sensitivity. What kind of sensitivity you are having is important too. Is it cold, hot, pressure(like when eating), waking you up at night? Think too about wether or not this is PAIN or just sensitivity. Try taking Motrin or some kind of Ibuprofen that is anti-inflamatory med. this will help too. Don't wait too long to call you dentist if it persist or gets worse.
I know I should ask a question rather than ask in comment form,  but for the last few days that I've tried I am told that this forum  has reached its limits for the day.

So my question is... Can even a slight crossbite be the cause of TMJ disorders? And is it too late for my crossbite to be corrected? I am 21 years old.

I am having my second TMJ surgery tomorrow. First was done in '02. I had extra bone growth, popping, clicking, grinding etc. then and now they've returned.
curious kid.

a slight crossbite should definitely be fixed.  Have it fixed with an ALF appliance if at all possible.  Go to www.icnr.com for more information.  Educate yourself.  Where there is crossbite there is imbalance in the cranial system.  If the cranial system is out of whack you will develop a muscular imbalance in the face and perhaps in the whole body.  Swallowing too could be compromised.  Keep researching.  Educate yourself.  Fix your crossbite carefully.  Good luck.  Read the published work by Angela and voicetraining.co.uk  good luck.