Dental Health Community
bone graft

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

bone graft

It has been two weeks since bone graft surgery and I am still suffering periodic severe pain while a portion of my chin and lower gum is numb.  Large swelling has almost completely subsided.  Surgeon said he had seen my nerve during the procedure and seems confident that I am progressing.  WITH LITTLE CHANGE IN MY POST OPERATIVE CONDITON, I WONDER HOW ONG I WILL BE EXPEREINCING THIS PAIN.  I DO NOT LIKE TO TAKE NARCOTIC PAIN MEDICINE.
Post -op pain  associated with a surgical procedure is probably best managed by medication in today's pracrice. However, your condition may take pain killer on a timely schesulue, for instance, every 6 hours, in stead of  pain as needed. If OTC pain killer is not effective , you may need to see your surgeon for further pain management.
it sounds like it was quite some work, if the surgeon actually saw your nerve then the parasthesia you are experiencing is well expected. If the swelling is not visible it only means that the soft tissue is healing. While that happens faster, the bone could take another 3-4 weeks. Basically you have some unresolved hematoma in the bone putting pressure on your nerve. Try moist heat in the area and monitor closely, if you start having some moderation in pain and tingling in your chin and gums, then you are progressing fine. If the pain does not subside and/ or gets worse, then a closer look into the area is warranted..