Dental Health Community
bone grafts & pain it entails

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

bone grafts & pain it entails

Is bone grafting a painful procedure?  I am 64 years old and had my lower left last tooth
was extracted.  This tooth, along with two of my front teeth, and four missing teeth totaled 7 teeth
on the bridge.

I am now told I have to have a bone graft in order to eventually get an implant in the area.  My
question is how painful is it to do bone grafting and how long before the pain goes away.  I know
it will take a long time to heal but my fear is about the pain.

thanks.
I had a bone graft a month ago on my chin.  It did hurt.  They give you pain medicine.  I quit taking the pain medicine and switched to Ibprofin.  The reason I did this is the pain medicine doesn't help all that much.  Mine was on my chin.  The swelling was extensive.  It felt like I had TMJ, if you have ever experienced that.  My jaw just hurt, like it was over worked.  It still hurts slightly if I touch it.  I still can't feel the chin, parts of the jaw and all my lower teeth.  It does come back though eventually.  It's weird brushing your teeth and flossing.  You can't feel it.  So ya, it's numb but still hurts.  Doesn't make sense.   I had some pretty major surgery and all in all it wasn't that bad except the first week.  Make sure you don't over do yourself, even if you feel fine, it will take the healing process longer.  Trust me, I tried.  And if they say don't talk, listen.  I didn't and a lot of my stitches came out.  Made a huge hole.  It was gross.  They have to then let it heal from the inside out.