Dental Health Expert Forum
bone sticking out after extraction HELP!!!

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

i had a tooth extracted about 2 weeks ago.... the healing seems to be fine ,but there is a piece of my jaw  that is sticking out, it hurts to touch, and almost seems like its trying to break throuhg my gums, it seems to be a sharp piece....is this normal??.....i keep reading the stories about them leaving a peice of tooth in there....or something..... maybe it need to be shaved down??.... i go back to the dentist tomorrow to get another extraction  im going to ask about it then as well....
It may be what we call a bony spicule, which is a small piece of tooth or jaw bone that is left in the socket after the extraction.  They can remove it quite quickly and the area will heal up fast.  
yea the bone had regrown and was trying to come through my gums.... they opened it back up and took some pieces out...OUCH!!!!... that hurt .... but now its not bothering me.... just the stitches... i was wondering can you tell me how long does dissolving stitches take to dissolve??....thanks
If its the dissolvable kind, probably about a week if it doesn't fall out on its own.  Glad to hear you're doing better though.
yea thanks....i think one side has gone, dissolved, or swallowed...lol....ne ways my other side where they did the crown lenghting still hurting, tomorrow will be a week. and i do go back for a check up...im thinking maybe where they cut  is still open and bothering me....even when i drink sometimes it hurts....cant quite eat right yet on either side ( one side still stitches and the other side that had extraction still has a pretty big hole after 3 weeks...is that normal??).....sorry for all the question but your great !!!....thanks again!!!
No problem.  Sounds like you got some dental work lined up that needs to get done.  I don't do crown lengthening so I'm not sure exactly what the healing time on it is, but it should be about the same as an extraction so I'd say one week should be when its better or almost entirely gone.  The big hole can be normal after 3 weeks depending on the complexity of the extraction.
went to dentist yesterday he squeeeeeeeeezed the area pretty hard yesterday but said it looked good..... i just had root canal, extraction and crown lenghting done. next is the crown to be made, then a deep medicated cleaning  and 2 fillings. almost done....hopefully.....when they did the extraction the tooth did break so i dont know if that caused the hole to be bigger, but its deff still there i wannt say about the size of a piece of rice, maybe a little bigger.... food still getting stuck in there ALL the time but im really good about rinsing sfter i eat anything cause i can feel the food stuck there......so the pain is pretty much gone, it gets it moments though, and im sure playing with the area with my tongue doesnt help!..but i can eat again!!!! yay!!...lol.... thanks for all your help... im sure i will have more question for you as more dental work comes.....lol...... back to the dentist july 8th....
I had all four wisdom teeth taken out about a year and a half ago and about a month ago I went in for a deep cleaning. About 2 weeks ago I noticed something sticking out on both sides at the bottom where I had the bottom wisdom teeth extracted, one side is very painful to touch and eat. I went to the dentist and they took x rays and the dentist doesn't know what it is or what is causing this pain for me. Maybe you or someone can explain to me. The pain is causing teeth and ear pain. Please help. Dentist also put me on antibiotics just in case there is infection. I go back on monday for checkup.