Dental Health Community
bony projection on gum 3 years after wisdom tooth extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I just found that I have a hard bony projection on the tongue side of my lower left gum tissue where I had my wisdom tooth extracted 3 years ago. I do not have any pain and the area is not open or infected. The tongue is being damaged by the projection in area though. I have an appointment next week with the dentist to find out what it is but I am a bit scared or nervous as to what it is and what they will do to remove it.  It was a difficult extraction so it is possible that part of the root broke off and travelled over that way. But it seems like a long time since the surgery. Is this possible? What am I to expect as to how they can get this out?
thanks,
mkh9
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello there,
A dental examination is very important for determining the exact cause of your symptoms. A slow-growing projection of bone forming in the middle of the roof of the mouth or on the lower jaw by the side of the tongue can possibly be a torus. It is a common condition which is harmless. It can also be a cyst which are hollow, fluid-filled swellings causing jaw pain and swelling. Odontomas are overgrowths of tooth-forming cells that look like small, misshapen extra teeth. Treatment will depend on the cause. I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello there,
Best luck and regards!
Dr. Sharma,
Thanks so much for your reply. I hope it is benign and too difficult to remove. I suspect it may be a tooth fragment. It doesn't hurt at all so far.
regards,
mkh9
I went to the dentist today and he said it was a benign bone spur. So I'm going to a oral surgeon for a consult. I may get it grinded down since it is cutting into my tongue.
thanks again,
mkh9
FYI,
I went to my oral surgeon and he said it was when the wisdom tooth was removed the bone is supposed to close in and it did but at some point the bone stopped closing in and the protrusion is due to this. He said it would start up again on its own and that I didn't need surgery as long as it stayed underneath the skin.  If it does break the skin it still doesn't have to require surgery as it still will go back in by itself but it takes a long time. If it gets infected then of course it would have to be taken care of right away. He said the tongue looked normal.
thanks,
mkh9