Dental Health Community
broken, abcessed tooth with chin/cheek swelling and discoloration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Hi, this is all very embarrassing to admit, but I have a tooth that has been broken for some time and is now abcessed or the gum is. I had tooth pain and swelling of the gums. I had some amoxicillin (full rx) so started taking it and the pain has gone away but now I've notice that the area on my chin that coincides with the tooths location is purple and red is unlying the purple and kind of covers the swollen area. I know I need to make an appointment to have what's left of tooth removed and I will, but very concern about the discoloration and what that might mean. Any info is much appreciated. As a side note, I am terrified of dentists and really embarrassed of what they'll think of the state of my teeth..stupid I know.

Okay, thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
A complete clinical examination is very important for determining the exact treatment of your condition. A person who does not receive treatment for  a cracked tooth, exposed tooth or  a deep cavity is at risk of developing a tooth abscess.People with several cavities are at risk due to poor oral hygiene, high sugar diet etc.If left untreated it can erupt into the bone area and destroy tissue. The infection can spread into the deeper jaw and surrounding tissue or other parts of the body. It is possible that the abscess has not healed completely. A clinical examination by a dentist is very important. Treatment will depend on the clinical findings. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and regards!