Dental Health Community
broken crown and replacement cost

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

broken crown and replacement cost

I had a porcelain crown placed on my back molar approximately two years ago.  Recently while eating some chicken the crown broke and I saved the piece of broken crown to show my dentist.  I explained that I had not bitten into anything hard or anything I would not ordinarily be eating.  He used the piece to help make another impression for a new crown and advised that it would cost $1,100 to replace the crown.  I asked about an adjustment to the price since this crown did not last very long and he has refused saying I bit into something that broke the tooth which I explained that I did not.  He says he only replaces for no charge if the tooth breaks within one year and that I am outside of the one year frame.  I have reviewed lots of web sites on this and five years looks like the minimum life for a crown.  I have left a message for the dentist to call me before the appointment to replace the crown.  How should I approach this with this dentist since I believe I should not have to pay for the replacement based on the short length of time I had this crown and the fact that there was no trauma involved in the breaking?

This discussion is related to Dental Crown Problem.