Dental Health Community
broken molar during wisdom tooth extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had my wisdom teeth removed last week and during the process my back molar was broken off to the gum on the side exposing the filling. It is now sensitive to cold and painful. The oral surgeon whom removed my wisdom teeth did not inform me of the break in my molar, is that okay? also, should they be required to put a crown or cap or something on it or fix it?
Hi nighthawk, if a oral surgeon saw the broken molar he would have mentioned it to you for sure. These are trained medical specialists who dont play those games with patients.
I personally dont feel the doctor is responsible as the tooth already was damaged by decay prior to your visit. If the tooth did not have a filling already, i think that would be a different story and he might fix it for free. Its like a machanic replacing your car radiator and accidently touch a hose that was cracked and it broke in half. If there is already prior damage the doctor would not be responsible.
Yeah you might want to talk to them about it if they knew anything about it take note and tell them that they broke it and how did this happen.... etc I think if they did that he is responsible and thats he needs to pay for the cost. I had an aunt that had a problem went to the er and had stroke and went into surgery and came out from surgery with many problems. she cant be feed or do anything so its the doctors fault and if they dont tell you and know and or lying thats neglect on their part and you proble could bring it up to a layer and get the cost put together and go from their......