Dental Health Expert Forum
broken tooth. occasional swelling and pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hi thanks for taking the time to read this. over the years i have not been able to have health or dental insurance. so getting an type of dental work done was almost non existant. at one time i had extreme pain in a few of me teeth. i went to family clinic where dental work could be done on a sliding pay scale. i ended up getting a root canal done on one of my pained teeth. not many months later the cap came off and eventually the tooth broke. i believe that then i had an abcess (abscess) in this tooth. i got antibiotics and the pain and swelling then went away. this pain will come and go whenever. recently half of the broken tooth came out of my gums. the post and the other half is still there and i had reall bad swelling and minor pain. my stepmother gave me nitrofurantin because that was what she hadn on hand. it seemed to help but i know it wont be long before it comes back. i am wary to go back to the famil clinic because the work the did wasnt very helpful. i know that it has to be extracted along with the last of my wisdom teeth which are now cracked and decaying. is the any tpe of discounted insurance in florida that can help me with these issues and what do i need to do to stop this pain and to save the rest of m teeth. i really dont want to have to get dentures in m twenties or even thirties. is there any help for me? thanks
You can contact your local dental society to see if there any other dentists or dental facilities that may provide affordable or free dental care.  If there is a local dental school, sometimes they can provide more affordable dental treatment as well.  Have you attempted to get any state coverage of dental care such as Medicaid?