Dental Health Community
burning mouth and geographic tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

burning mouth and geographic tongue

My mouth started to bother me almost four months ago...started as my tongue feeling all tingly then seemed to be side of tongue then was top left upper gum way back and now is roof of mouth mostly behind front teeth. I had a root canal on a top left tooth back in December ..and had to have gum surgery (crown lengthening) 2 visits and had mouth cankers after awful sore! then crown was placed jan 1st and I have just recently like 3 weeks ago been able to eat on the tooth. It was sooo sensitive I couldn't brush it at first, and gum hurt a lot...throbbed off and on and in morning.  Anyway...I figured all this was what caused mouth to start hurting.  Then I got thrush...Dr surmised caused from antibiotics I had taken for dental stuff. May'be. Nystatin course didn't work so he gave me 10 days of Diflucan.  Thrush is now gone but I have geographic (baldish patch)? on left side of tongue and the roof of my mouth is kind of yellowish and veiny and burns.  I don't know  what this is. Any help would be appreciated.  I will try the B vit and folic acid I guess and see if helps.  Thanks everyone.
Geographic tongue also called Erythema Migrans is a common benign condition. It effects females more than males. It occurs on the tongue as well as palate and other surfaces in the mouth. It is harmless condition and incurable. The cause is unknown. Some patients experience some burning or tingling to spicy or hot foods.

I also have geographic tongue. As a dentist myself, I don't do anything to treat it. When it flares up, I avoid spicy food.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's harmless, although uncomfortable.

Bridget DDS

Bridget DDS
There is a good chance that you have activated a trigger point in your digastric muscle.

It's helpful to understand the anatomy & physiology of your tongue - the muscles in the front of your neck, the digastric, suprahyoid & infrahyoid, and the anterior vertebral muscles and the nerves that supply them.

When you have a clear understanding of the function of these muscles you will be able to reproduce the pain at will and you will know what to do so as not to aggravate your condition.

Studying the function of the hyoid bone is a good place to start.

Symptoms - depending on the muscle and the location of the trigger points - are a painful burning tongue (glossodynia), dry mouth, sores on the tongue, difficulty talking, a sore throat with no inflammation, pain on swallowing and the feeling that there is a something/lump stuck in the throat, and pain in the lower back teeth. Your voice may be hoarse.

All these muscles function to open your mouth. Some also assist in flexing your head and spine, rotating your neck laterally and tilting your head to the same side. They also act as stabilizers. The mylohyoid muscles are used to chew, suck and blow.

Whiplash can activate these trigger points. Mouth-breathing, forward head posture, bruxism and a malocclusion will aggravate them, as can heat, cold, and spices.

Correcting your posturing from an excessive forward head position and breathing through your nose - not the mouth - are necessary for long term relief.