Dental Health Community
can a rotten/impacted wisdom tooth make you sick?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I have an impacted wisdom tooth.  The tooth does not hurt at all.  It use to but the pain all of a sudden just stopped about a year ago.  Also the tooth is rotting away.  It is not swollen and I am not in pain. I have been feel sick and have a lymph in my neck and one deep in the collar that I THINK is swollen.  Also my tonsils are red. (both of them.)  I am not throwing up or anything I just feel very bad. Every time i eat the tooth will get food stuck inside.  There is white VERY thick mucus in the back of my throat.  Also sometimes if i place my tongue on the tooth it taste kind of salty.  It just feel kind of like my neck is fat/swollen.

p.s.  I been feeling like this for about 2 months
Yes Yes Yes!!!
All the bacteria coming out of the rotten tooth (that tastes salty and is going down your throat) is effecting other parts of your body. That bacteria can get in your bloodstream and cause a widespread systemic infection or inflammation. Your body is working it's hardest to fight all this bacteria, but it can only do so much. The enlarged lymph nodes are full of white cells that have trapped the bacteria, but only so much can be stored there. It sounds like the bacteria is winning. It can make you feel generally rundown. Nothing specific, just plain lousy. Achy, tired, lack of appitite, low grade fever.
You need to be on an antibiotic to stop the infection from getting worse, and to have the tooth pulled to prevent further problems. Until then, start rinsing your mouth and tooth with warm salt water several times a day and spitting it out. Apply warm compresses to the area near the infected tooth. This will help draw out some of the bacteria and at least prevent it from entering your body.

Then make an appointment with a dentist NOW! there is a true risk that the bacteria from chronic gum infections and rotten teeth can cause heart problems or travel to the brain.
Yes Yes Yes!!!

PS....my (soon to be ex) husband's a dentist.
Thank you so very much for your replay Jan5319.  I went and got an xray the doc act like everything was ok. But he did say that tooth needed to come out.  It was just i never had swollen lymph before that i could feel.  they do not hurt at all.  I have been thinking it could be hiv from all the symptoms.  but I been testing negative.  even at 3 months i tested negative.

p.s.  I will continue to wish my mouth out with some warm water and salt.  That might be what causing me to become dizzy also! (the dizziness is not as bad as it was but it is till there)
Swollen lymph nodes are signs of an infection. The nodes closest to the infection will be the ones that swell up. You have other lymph nodes (the major ones) located in the groin and under the armpit.
I'm glad you went in to see the dentist. I know what you mean about how he acted like everything was ok....that's how they are taught to act. Just think how frightened a patient would be if the doctor freaked out and said "OMG! This is awful!"
I hope you get the tooth pulled and start to feel better soon.
Take care
I guess the crazy thing about it is that one of the lymphs is on the opposite side of the tooth that is infected. It is the wisdom tooth on the top left side.  My lymph, well one of them is on the right center side. and the other one is deep in side my collar bone close to the left side of my neck?
Does he do long distance home visits lol
i have a windom tooth coming out but is rotten it feel very pain. should i go and pluck it out?
Same here. I had a rotten and what my dentist said was a poisonous tooth taken out yesterday. I still have the hard lump on my lymph node behind my ear and also on my shoulder. Did your lymph nodes go back to normal after your surgery?