Dental Health Community
can a rotten/impacted wisdom tooth make you sick?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I have an impacted wisdom tooth.  The tooth does not hurt at all.  It use to but the pain all of a sudden just stopped about a year ago.  Also the tooth is rotting away.  It is not swollen and I am not in pain. I have been feel sick and have a lymph in my neck and one deep in the collar that I THINK is swollen.  Also my tonsils are red. (both of them.)  I am not throwing up or anything I just feel very bad. Every time i eat the tooth will get food stuck inside.  There is white VERY thick mucus in the back of my throat.  Also sometimes if i place my tongue on the tooth it taste kind of salty.  It just feel kind of like my neck is fat/swollen.

p.s.  I been feeling like this for about 2 months
Yes Yes Yes!!!
All the bacteria coming out of the rotten tooth (that tastes salty and is going down your throat) is effecting other parts of your body. That bacteria can get in your bloodstream and cause a widespread systemic infection or inflammation. Your body is working it's hardest to fight all this bacteria, but it can only do so much. The enlarged lymph nodes are full of white cells that have trapped the bacteria, but only so much can be stored there. It sounds like the bacteria is winning. It can make you feel generally rundown. Nothing specific, just plain lousy. Achy, tired, lack of appitite, low grade fever.
You need to be on an antibiotic to stop the infection from getting worse, and to have the tooth pulled to prevent further problems. Until then, start rinsing your mouth and tooth with warm salt water several times a day and spitting it out. Apply warm compresses to the area near the infected tooth. This will help draw out some of the bacteria and at least prevent it from entering your body.

Then make an appointment with a dentist NOW! there is a true risk that the bacteria from chronic gum infections and rotten teeth can cause heart problems or travel to the brain.
Yes Yes Yes!!!

PS....my (soon to be ex) husband's a dentist.
Thank you so very much for your replay Jan5319.  I went and got an xray the doc act like everything was ok. But he did say that tooth needed to come out.  It was just i never had swollen lymph before that i could feel.  they do not hurt at all.  I have been thinking it could be hiv from all the symptoms.  but I been testing negative.  even at 3 months i tested negative.

p.s.  I will continue to wish my mouth out with some warm water and salt.  That might be what causing me to become dizzy also! (the dizziness is not as bad as it was but it is till there)
Swollen lymph nodes are signs of an infection. The nodes closest to the infection will be the ones that swell up. You have other lymph nodes (the major ones) located in the groin and under the armpit.
I'm glad you went in to see the dentist. I know what you mean about how he acted like everything was ok....that's how they are taught to act. Just think how frightened a patient would be if the doctor freaked out and said "OMG! This is awful!"
I hope you get the tooth pulled and start to feel better soon.
Take care
I guess the crazy thing about it is that one of the lymphs is on the opposite side of the tooth that is infected. It is the wisdom tooth on the top left side.  My lymph, well one of them is on the right center side. and the other one is deep in side my collar bone close to the left side of my neck?
Does he do long distance home visits lol
i have a windom tooth coming out but is rotten it feel very pain. should i go and pluck it out?
Same here. I had a rotten and what my dentist said was a poisonous tooth taken out yesterday. I still have the hard lump on my lymph node behind my ear and also on my shoulder. Did your lymph nodes go back to normal after your surgery?
I have a question. Recently I have been in and out of the hospital complaining about being light headed, having no energy, having random pains through out my body, chest pains, & sometimes a tingling/burning/numbing sensation theoughout my body. They've taken plenty of blood tests and other tests but can't seem to find anything wrong with me. The recent visits I haven't told them about having a rotten tooth. Reading the symptoms makes me wonder could it be a rotten tooth causing this? My mouths been really dry, I have swollen lympnodes, and my tonsils have been swollen. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
Omg I am so so glad I have just read this..I've got the same problem.I went to my doctors 1st as didn't think of it being a tooth.my neck kept throbbing although at the same time I was having trouble with a tooth..anyway my doctor asked about throat cancer and sent me for a full blood count.which come back normal.I went back to c the doctor and he was baffled..until I told him about my tooth he then looked and said I can tell u now that's tour problem have it removed ASAP. So I did..now I have another wisdom tooth problem except this 1 is embedded and rotting away inside my gum only a tiny bit of tooth is out and on the wrong side and stabbing me in the cheek I've been suffering for months now.my lympth nodes r up and swollen and steel tender at times.I got that constant heavy achy feeling around my jaw.sometimes I can't even yawn as it feels like I'm streathing that side with the tooth..my throat feels sore sometimes.I get nightly pains in the chest and head and behind the ear..and I feel sick and sometimes tierd.I'm waiting for it to be removed..I've been a complete and utter worrier over this and have drummed it into my head that something is seriously wrong with me even though 2 dentist have told me it's all my wisdom tooth..hospital have told me I am shutting my nervous system down due to the panicking.and I had a ecg done.heart is fine but I'm getting palpitations.but was told that's nothing to really worry about.plus since this problem flared up I've had indegestion problems.never suffered like this before and it's so stressful

Hi can someone help..i have had a heated feelin in my head an left side of nexk is swollen pain goea down towards my chest. Feel sick to stomach...yes i have two left side rotting wisdom teeth for five years .....is this normal symptoms?!?!?! *i also have severe anxiety...but even when i take the xanax....i still feel the heat in my brain. Last Sunday i wentto the hospital and they check my heart for a heart attack they also did a CT scan on my brain and did some blood work and everything came back normal and then I told them about my tooth they looked at it and put me on antibiotics right away and sent me home now this severe pain in my brain has gone away since I started taking the antibiotics around the 5th day but I'm still feeling the heat inside my head and in my chest or back area on Monday in 2 days I will be getting them surgically removed they are going to put me to sleep and take them away. But has anybody else had these type of symptoms? Please help me