Dental Health Expert Forum
chronic jaw pain after impacted wisdom tooth removal
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

chronic jaw pain after impacted wisdom tooth removal

I had 3 wisdom teeth removed about 2 weeks ago. 1 was impacted.  2 days post op I was in extreme pain which happened to be a dry socket and I went to the oral surgeon and he put in a dressing which did help with the pain somewhat.  The following day, he took it out and put in another one which he left in for 3 days before removing it. 1 week later, the pain in my jaw was not as bad as before, but i was still experiencing pain and my gums were very sore and irritated probably due to the dressing. the dentist didn't seem concerned and said the pain would diminish. I have been taking ibuprofen during the day and percocet at night to help with the pain, but it's not helping and the pain has not subsided at all.  I continue to have pain on the right side of my face and my lower jaw where the impacted tooth was removed.  I have trouble sleeping because of the pain.  Is it normal to be in this much pain 2 weeks post op or could it be an infection or did he do some damage during the extraction?  Should I have an x-ray taken?
Tags: irritable