Dental Health Expert Forum
coated tonue and upper lip numbness

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

coated tonue and upper lip numbness
Following extraction of an upper molar and wisdom tooth, I have suffered from miserable coated tongue, a sensation of dryness, and loss some of sensation in my upper lip. Could this be the result of any nerve damage from the extractions?
Highly unlikely from the extraction to get loss of sensation to the upper lip.

The dry mouth and sensation could be an issue with the salivary gland which is on the cheek near the teeth in question.  Or you may have a fungal infection (perhaps a side effect of antibiotics if you are taking them).  
What is the "issue" that could exist with the salivary gland as a result of a wisdom tooth extraction-I had mine out 8 weeks ago and have severe dry mouth.

Tricia
Potential damage to the salivary gland during the extraction but highly unlikely as well.  Its not that close to the area.

How long as the dry mouth been and how severe is it?  Can you eat a dry cracker without water?