Dental Health Community
combo symptoms- TMJ, canker sores, tonsilitis, inflammation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

For the past 6 weeks, I've had gum inflammation with some recession noted and a recurrent sore throat.  After an xray to rule out tooth decay or infection, I was put on antibiotics for the inflammation, which resulted in a fungal infection.  The inflammation periodically returns, despite efforts to step up dental hygiene (I dished out $100 for a fancy battery powered toothbrush and use non-alcholic mouthwash several times a day.)  I also recently got a night guard to ensure that my night-time jaw clenching would not aggravate symptoms.  My teeth are worn down but well taken care of and generally healthy, though the first layer of enamel is worn down on some teeth.  I have been diagnosed with a mild case of TMJ on the right side of my jaw.

Since the intial inflammation, I've noticed some other changes.  The neck lymph nodes will periodically feel swollen.  The soft palate and soft tissue towards the throat are inflammed and have a whitish-yellow tinge to them.  So does the tongue, which also has bumps towards the back.  I've had a couple small blisters on my tongue too, which popped while brushing.  By far the strangest symptom is the appearence of a large white patch over the tonsils, bordered in red.  I've had it for over a month now.  It started on the right side and now has spread to the right.  The blood vessels in the area of the patch show through and are bluish to purplish in color.  Never before in my life could I see blood vessels in such high relief in my mouth.

I've had blood tests for just about everything- HIV, Mono, Lyme, CD4 cells, inflammation markers, syphillis (syphilis), herpes, throat culture -all of which returned negative. I am fairly confident that these results are accurate and up-to-date.  The only abnormal blood test results were a low level of potassium (I eat lots of fruits and veggies) and low alkaline phosphates.

None of the doctors I've seen so far have any idea what these symptoms add up to, if anything, together.  The most they can tell me is that it might be a viral infection, but it has lasted well over a month now.  I would really like to know what this could possibly be as I can't take anymore sick days out of work.  (Teachers need a voice and the sore throat is killing my classes.)

Please help!

This discussion is related to Gum inflammation and jaw pain after teeth cleaning.
Your throat problem is best managed by ENT . I do'nt think dental profession can help.Did any md think of food intolerence and nutritional deficiency ?
I am going to a new ENT on Monday and hope that will work out.  I eat pretty well, so I don't think I have any nutritional deficiency, but I'll ask if it could be food intolerance/allergy.  

I exercise regularly and have no other health issues.  I'm a 28 year old female.  
Could it be Leukoplakia?  

I was a smoker for maybe 2 or 3 years total when in college, then an occasional social smoker (maybe 1x/month) and went through a phase where I smoked marijuana for a few months recently.

The sores are painful and spreading.  I have an ENT appointment soon and would appreciate any information that will be helpful.  
Leukoplakia is generally asymptomatic,
Do you have a diagnosis?  I have had the same problem, but am on my second year.  I finally quit going to all the specialists.  After x-rays, blood work, MRI's, numerous specialists, I gave up.  I honestly got tired of taking off of work and everything came back perfectly normal.  

My symptoms are cyclical and run with my menstral cycle.  They actually improve a great deal during a certain point in my cycle.  None of the physcians I have seen ever wanted to discuss that aspect except to tell me that maybel I was more stressed during certain times of the month.  This has nothing to do with stress.  Hope you get an answer, and if you do, please let us know what it is.

caoty
No, not really.  I got diagnosed with night time GERD which could be irritating the tissue in my mouth.  Also, the TJM might cause muscle/joint strain which pulls other muscles in my neck and throat out of alignment.  I've been going for massage, acupuncture and to a chiropractor.  Seems to have helped a little but hardly enough.  Im kinda tired of trying to figure out what it is at this point.  I haven't noticed whether it is affected by my cycle or not, but Ill make a point to take of that now.
Xylotene seems to help most of hese problems. It sorted my massive mouth ulcers in a day. -TheVamp