Dental Health Expert Forum
correction of loose crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

correction of loose crown

Could anyone tell me how a loose crown is corrected?  Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It depends on why it is loose. The crown has to be removed and a determination of why the crown loosened in the first place. Then the appropriate treatment can be done.
Sounds like you need removal and re-cementing of it.  There's really no other way.
well many things can cause it to have a loose feel. maybe it needs to be recemented (there are many conditions that say yes or not to this)> the tooth under could be fractured, get to the dentist soon. maybe the tooth itself is loose but you cant tell. unfortunatly you need to see a dentist in person to give you a proper diagnosis and treatmen plan.
in my practice, i would say 90% of the time that patients came in with a loose crown it was becasue something more involved related to the tooth underneath or the crown itelf (a perforation for example) was going on. I would say abot half the time it was becasue the tooth had had a root canal and the post became loose (hence the crown) due to a fracture or decay. vey rarely did i need only to recement a loose cown---ie very raely was everything ok underneath. a derntist needs to do an exam and evaluate why it came off.
A related discussion, Front teeth crowns problems was started.