Dental Health Community
crown infected or not? could it cause systemic symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

i have a crown with a post on my front tooth.  up high on the gum well above the tooth is a pressure sensitive area that is also raised, like a big dul lump.  years ago i took an elbow to the tooth/crown playing basketball and it loosened the tooth.  I never fixed it but it firmed back up and no pain.

i have always had this raised boney like area high on the gum and i just figured it's normal for a crown and post to create a raised area on the gum.  I assumed it wasn't an infection because it didn't smell or hurt.  However, it is sensitive to the touch, like something inside by gum is not solid and feeling of pressure if you push it with a finger.   But pushing the tooth does not cause any sensation like this.

Is this lump is normal to crowns, or from the injury?  I will see a dentist and get an xray.  In the meantime, does this lump sound suspicious for an infection deep into the bone where the post is anchored or is a lump normal for any inserted post because of displacment of the tissue to accomodate the post?

for the past 4 years i've had joint aches, positive ana's, rhematic symptoms but no disease.  I'm wondering if perhaps this (if it's an infection) might be causing my symptoms.  
I would definitely have an x-ray done to make sure you don't have any infection at the apex of the tooth.  If you do, you will want to take care of it soon.  Your dentist will advise you on the best way to treat it.  If it's not infection, he will be able to tell you what it is.