Dental Health Community
crown prep gone bad

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

crown prep gone bad

On May 7th I went to the dentist to have a filling replaced. (I had only had the filling for 5 to 7 months on the lower right molar. 2nd from the back). The filling was put there because I had some gum recession. When I went in for the replacement I was not experiencing any pain or sensitivity to hot or cold. The dentist told me the tooth was cracked and needed a crown. He proceeded to numb the area, but he seemed rather rough and excessive. My ear was even numb. He prepped the tooth and sent me away with a temporary that left the receded gum area exposed. When the novacaine wore off I experienced intense pain, but attributed it to the roughness with  which the dentist had prepped. I contacted the dentist on Sat. May 10th as the pain was not subsiding. He offered pain medication. I went back on May 12th and he shaved the temporary down saying that it was probably the cause of the pain. This left a hole in the temporary. No relief from pain. Sent to endodontist May 14th who tested the tooth for sensitivity to cold and hot. I was not sensitive to either, but the root canal was performed anyway. After the novacaine wore off the pain was slightly reduced, but still intense and throbbing. May 17th called the endodontist who prescribe z-pac (even though I told him twice I suspected allergies to penicillin and erythromycin) and pain meds. I took the antibiotics not knowing that the z-pac is a form of erythromycin. Fortunately, I did not have a reaction and the pain subsided, but very little and, at this point I was still taking 800mg of Motrin every 3 hours. May 21st went back to endondontist who seemed to downplay that the Dr. on call gave me the z-pack and told me the root canal was fine and said I should go back to my dentist. May 23rd still much pain call dentist office who tells me to call endodontist. I told the receptionist that I had just spoken to the endodontist on Weds. The receptionist tells me sorry, but the dentist is on vacation until June 9th. June 2nd temporary falls off which caused a little relief in pain. June 4th go to dentists office and assistant says temp fell off because of saliva getting in hole Dr. left. Assistant puts new temp on, but no relief in pain. June 4th go to dentist for permanent crown. Crown doesn't fit. New temporary put on. Dr. is very vague as to what is happening and why their is still so much pain. New temporary covers entire tooth which seems to have reduced pain much more by June 14th. At this point, June 19th, I still can not chew on that tooth as it causes a sharp pain and I still have to take aspirin once or twice a day (often after having been asleep for a few hours) as it begins to ache around the bone area. I apologize for the length of this question, but I am so frustrated with the progression of these events. Do you have any idea what may be wrong? Is this a common occurrence? I've had approx. 8 crowns over the years and have never experienced anything like this. Thank you very much for your time.
Tags: crown, bad, Pain
How are you feeling? Are you still having to take motrin? I am experiencing a very similiar situation. A permanent crown replaced a temporary crown. I only experienced pain while chewing on the temporary crown which I expected because of the grinding that was done to the tooth (molar). Anyway, three weeks went by and the permanent crown was put on. I told the Dentist about how the temporary crown partially was lefted while I accidently was chewing gum, which really hurt. I gargled with hydrogen proxide and felt okay. Then the permanent crown was put on and for two days I felt great then at 2 a.m. I woke up with pain. Every since then I have been experiencing throbbing pain and had the crown grinded down twice. So, I'm just wondering what you are experiencing now that it is going on two months. I am going on two weeks.
Hi there, i have just started reading this forum as i am experiencing bad reactions to the new 8 crowns i have had fitted. i already had some, but the metal was showing so i had them replaced with empress crowns. they are lovely but for the past 5 weeks i am in agony! my whole face is sore, constant headaches, salivating a lot, chronic upper and lower jaw ache and root pain above my new crowns. they are all acroos the top. so i have these lovely new teeth but cant even bite on the becasuse of the pain. if any dentist out there is reading this, what can i do? my dentist is takinbg x-rays next week as she is also lost as to why this is happening.

I generally am a fit bubbly person, but i cant even smile outside now as hot and cold is agony, everything i eat or drink has to be luke warm. can any one help?
Seeing an occlusionist or prosthodontist to equalize occlusion is advised.