Dental Health Community
curing periodontitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

curing periodontitis

About 3 months ago, I was diagnosed with Periodontitis, a disease of the gums that results in bone and tissue loss. At the time I wasn't sure what questions to ask as I was not entirely sure of what it was. My dentist explained to me I had some bone and tissue loss in my mouth because extensive gingivitis. I hadn't gone to the dentist prior to that in almost 6 years. I had also had my wisdom teeth extracted. She measured my teeth, and I had losses of mostly 1,2 and 3's but also one of 5 I think and one of 7. I asked them if the damage was bad, they said no not too bad, and I just need to come in for a deep cleaning, practice better hygiene and come in regularly for cleanings. After reading all that I have read online about this disease however, I am terrified. I am afraid of losing my teeth, and worse more I read it can lead to risk of heart attack and stroke. I got my deep cleaning on one side 3 months ago but was unable to get it on the other side due to lack of funds. Can this disease be treated? How common is it? Any further info would be greatly appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
In periodontitis, the alveolar bone around the teeth is lost slowly. Microorganisms like bacteria, stick to the surface of the tooth and multiply .If left untreated this condition can result in tooth loss. It also enhances the risk of stroke, heart attack and other health problems. Antibiotic mouth rinses, gels and oral antibiotics may be helpful in mild cases. In severe cases flap surgery and bone and tissue grafts may be necessary. The exact treatment can be decided only by a periodontist.Keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!
Thank you for your response. My front teeth are startingto wiggle. How effective is the flap surgery and bone grafting? Is it possible to completely stop infection and regrow bone and tissue?